Thursday, August 14, 2008

Macaroni and Cheese

I have never had good luck making macaroni and cheese. It either turns out into a big lump or is curdled and runny.

A few weeks ago my mom sent me a recipe that was in her paper and said that they both
loved it. I was skeptical, but figured I would give it a try.

My husband who hates anything but the blue box kind actually ate three helpings of it so I know it must be a winner.

Macaroni and Cheese

2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground mustard (I used Dijon mustard instead)
1/4 tsp Worcestershire sauce
2 cups milk
2 cups shredded cheese (I used extra sharp cheddar)

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Cook macaroni as directed on package. While macaroni is cooking, melt butter in saucepan over low heat. Stir in flour, salt, mustard, and Worcestershire sauce.

Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is smooth and bubbly. Remove from heat. Stir in milk. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil and stir for one minute, remove from heat. Stir in cheese until melted.

Drain macaroni. Gently stir macaroni into cheese sauce. Pour into ungreased 2 qt casserole. Bake uncovered for 20-30 minutes or until bubbly.

Enjoy!

No comments: