Thursday, January 22, 2009

Reusable grocery bags

We bought some reusable grocery bags at Walmart awhile ago and I wasn't impressed with them. They were flimsy and just didn't seem like they would last too long. Yes they were inexpensive, but was it worth it if you would have to replace them often? Then when the cat had a UTI she used them as a litter box and gave me a good excuse to get rid of them.

Since then I have been trying to find a decent bag that was sturdy and strong. I wasn't having much luck, but then I started cleaning out my fabric stash and found some duck cloth (a canvas like fabric) that I had bought for a project long ago. As I was sitting up feeding Colton one night it hit me that the duck cloth would make the perfect grocery bag.




After a few trial and errors the prototype was made. This one is pretty close, the only thing that I really need to change is that I put one handle on backwards.



Because they are stronger than plastic you can fit quite a bit into them. I just put a few things in that I had downstairs to show the size.

3 comments:

Casii said...

Our cat did the same thing with our bags when she had a UTI!

Great idea with the duck cloth. I've been doing some t-shirt bags and they work well so far.

Anonymous said...

I wish I could sew so I could make stuff like this... I can't even sew a straight line on paper let alone on fabric. Nice work though!

Pam said...

That looks awesome:).